6 Things Your School District Should Do
Ensuring our wards are safe online is a shared responsibility between the community, parents, schools and students.
- Create awareness campaign of cyber-safety best practices
- Develop policies that provide guidelines for both staff and students
- Create Admin procedures and practices to manage classroom and online behaviour
- Develop training programs and plans that teach safe online behaviours
- A school cyber safety blog or newsletter
- Another effective way to educate parents and students is to include relevant cyber safety education and alerts in regard to unsafe online behaviour in school newsletters. A few schools have a dedicated cyber safety blog as part of their website where parents can read weekly updates on new issues in regard to online safety, this is usually staffed by a cyber-savvy teacher.